Sunday, February 08, 2009

Fedora 10 static IP and DNS issues

You can modify IP addressing on Fedora 10 either through the GUI by System | Administration | Network or through a terminal by system-config-network . Unfortunately, my experience is something is broken when not using DHCP.

I found the subnet mask being set the same as the IP address, found the subnet mask being set to 32 bits, and found DNS servers not being retained after network, NetworkManager or server restarts.

Ultimately I edited /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 by hand and all seems to be well. Mine ultimately looks like so:

# Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=10.101.10.4
GATEWAY=10.101.10.1
DNS1=10.101.10.1
DNS2=4.2.2.2

This survives service network restart, service NetworkManager restart, and server reboots, but I imagine it is the only trustworthy method of modifying the IP adressing.

2 comments:

  1. I can't get my DNS working with this method. disabled buggy network manager. configured static like in the old days. system seems to ignore resolv.conf, and even DNS1 and DNS2 entries in ifcfg. network manager sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx u , its help me a lot :)

    ReplyDelete