Monday, March 14, 2016

VMware Workstation bridged network ping guest host

For years I've run Cisco UC servers on my laptop via VMware Player or VMware Workstation for testing interesting scenarios outside of production.  My latest laptop sports an Intel i5 with 8 GBs of RAM which is more than enough horsepower to run at least a couple small OVA servers in VMware Workstation 11.

The last time I tried to boot up a CUCM 10.5 server I was surprised to find I couldn't even ping between the host and guest.  The networking was set up pretty simply, used the default bridged VMware adapter and I was certain I used this server before.

The fix was ultimately to disable the DNE LightWeight Filter on the physical adapter on my laptop.  It seems to have been installed recently when I was forced to use Citrix to connect to a clients network remotely.

Below is a screenshot of the ping failures, the DNE Lightweight Filter correctly unchecked.  You hit OK at this point, the adapter resets and you might be in business again.



Good luck. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment